Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy First Birthday Carson!


To me, birthdays are a chance to celebrate the person whose special day it is.  While presents and parties are often involved, I also try to reflect on the gift that that person actually is in my life and in our world.  Today is my first chance to celebrate my daughter on her birthday, and I am overwhelmed by all the ways I am grateful for her, affected by her, and proud to call her my child.

In fact, I'm not really going to try to put it into words, because I feel certain I could not find enough to do her justice--or the correct ones to accurately express the emotions I feel about her.

Instead, here are a few of Brandon's and my favorite moments from the past 12 months, followed by a video of her entire first year. 
Well, not really all of it.  But I was hoping, maybe if you thought it was an entire year long, you wouldn't be as upset when you found out it lasted 9 minutes.

Okay, some of our favorite things about Carson and her life so far:

1. A year ago, Brandon and I woke up at God-knows-what-hour in the morning to get to the hospital for my c-section, only to realize our parents and my sister Anna had arrived before us.  I chuckle a little every time I think about a waiting room full of people--waiting for someone who hasn't even arrived at the hospital yet :)  We're incredibly blessed to have family so supportive and excited for us!

2. We'll always remember the first time Carson smiled at us--it was Brandon's birthday, and she was lying on her changing table...which would soon become one of her favorite spots in the world, where she would always smile and laugh.

3. From the beginning, Carson has made all kinds of grunts, squeaks, and toots A LOT.  She still does quite often, and her repertoire now includes roaring, sniffing, and chuckling (huh-huh).  We love them all.  Except whining.

4. One of my favorite memories is of Carson learning the sign for "more".  I'm not sure if she or I was more proud, as she realized she had the ability to communicate.  What an amazing power, to be able to share something from inside her head with another person!

5. Her first steps. Enough said.

6. One of Brandon's favorites is when we tickle her and she laughs that uncontrollable, full-body giggle of pure joy.

7. We love that she loves being outside.  Naming new objects, chasing squirrels around the cul-de-sac, stepping up and down curbs--as long as we're outdoors, she's entertained.

8. She has certain parts of her books that she loves.  Lately, as soon as we begin reading a book, she rushes through the pages, flipping as fast as she can, to get to her favorite parts--and then keeps turning back to them as we continue reading.  Watching her develop preferences and her own desires has been fascinating.

9. Carson always tries to make us laugh.  She "tickles" us every chance she gets and is keenly aware of when something she has done amuses us--and then she does it again and again.

And here is the video. Nine minutes of your life you can never get back, but if you're reading this blog, the subject matter should hopefully keep you entertained.

I can't believe the peanut-looking mass of cells we first saw her as became the precious little girl we get to play with and learn from each day.  Happy birthday, Carson.  You are an infinite blessing!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday beautiful girl! You've given so much joy to so many people and we are so glad you are here.

Grandma

Kim W. said...

I haven't watched the video yet, but I did read your post and that was wonderful Katie! These are words that Carson will cherish!

Happy Birthday Carson! You are so loved! :)

Kim

Nancy said...

I agree with Kim W. ~ Carson will cherish your words, her 1 year video and the pure love that motivates you to do these things for her. You are blessed indeed, Katie and Brandon. Happy Birthday Miss Carson!!!!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Carson! I got through about 1 minute and 27 seconds of the video before Connor drove me crazy saying, "Baby! Baby! Baby!" :) I'll have to finish the rest of it later -- so sweet!!

joflow said...

Happy Birthday Carson! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Angie said...

Happy 1st Birthday sweet girl! I've loved watching you learn and grow over the last year. Great job on the video guys!

Toby said...

Awesome job on the video Katie! Patrick and Maddy loved watching it too :) What a great year it's been. She looks so grown up in that last picture!

And happy birthday Carson! We love you so much and can't wait to see you this weekend!

(Carson - if you're reading this 10 years after it's been posted, I really didn't wish you a happy birthday a full day late. We called and sang to you on the day. I'm only late on commenting on the blog. So, despite what it looks like, I'm not the worst uncle ever. In fact, in case you've forgotten, I got you a pony for your 1st birthday. If you don't still have it, talk to your Dad. He must have done something with it.)

Gram said...

What a beautiful video. Carson Bean, Carson Bean........prettiest girl I've ever seen!! I love you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my darling great niece Carson. What wonderful memories you will always have of the Listmaker that mommy makes for you and will cherish. You have the most awesome parents ever!!! They love you so very much-just look at your smiles...by the way, I did text you on your birthday, so you know.. many more wonderful years to come beautiful girl.. I love you

Aunt Peggy