Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rock & Roll

So Carson achieved an amazing feat last week.  Well, okay--you can all probably do it too.  But Carson learned to roll from her back to her front, and we were so excited to get video of her second time doing it..



There are several things I love about this video:

1. That we actually got it.  Carson (and a lot of babies, from what I'm told) was born with this innate sense of what a camera is.  Every time she's doing something we want to capture, we rush to grab the camera.  Lens cap off. Camera on.  Image focused.  Then she sees the camera and immediately stops whatever awesome thing she was just achieving/performing/doing/saying.  I can't tell you how many 20-second videos we have of her right after she did something really cute/cool/funny.  Looking back through them goes something like this:  "Oh, this is just after she started smiling for the first time," or, "I remember--she had just stuck out her tongue 192437892 times in a row," or, "Right before that, she was splashing around and laughing in the tub."

To capture the action you've just seen, Brandon sat halfway across the room and hid behind a plant (not really) and zoomed in so C wouldn't spot the recording device.  It worked!

2. Carson's pants are unsnapped.  I love these pants and am in total denial about her outgrowing them.  So I keep putting them on her, only to undo them part-way through the day.  Please don't judge.

3. Carson's mullet.  You can catch a good glimpse of it each time she starts to roll over.  We don't know why her hair is growing like this, but it's fairly entertaining.

4. The hiccups.  They don't even phase her.

5. The way I completely ignore Brandon's suggestion to move the mailbox toy--and then Carson's head pays the price.  I am the kind of person who won't do something unless I understand why I should do it.  This drives Brandon NUTS.  He wishes that just sometimes--not even every day or every time he makes a suggestion--but sometimes, I would trust that he knows what he's talking about without him having to explain why.  I'm working on it.  In this specific instance, I was thinking he wanted the toy further away so Carson would reach farther for it.  But she was reaching just fine with the mailbox where it was.  So I ignored his idea.  He had the foresight to predict what would happen when she actually completed the roll.  I did not.  Sorry, C.

6. Our insane cheering, coaching, and commentary throughout.  Thanks for still being friends with us.

7. I love love love that Carson keeps trying. And trying. And trying.  She had been at it for a bit before the video even started.  I am so proud that she didn't give up, and I hope that trait stays with her forever.

8 comments:

Grandma said...

I love the commentary. It's as if you two are trying to roll over with her. So cute!

Toby said...

Way to go Carson!! So cool to see, thanks for posting the video!

And for #5, I think a "sorry Brandon" might be in order as well ;)

Kim W. said...

She is so amazing Katie!! I had so much fun with you tonight - thank you again! :)

Aunt Anna said...

Yay Carson!! This is so great! I'm so glad you guys could sneak a video! Good job Carson!

Paula said...

Good job Carson! Good cheering B and K!! This is very sweet.......mullet and all!

Meg said...

That is awesome!

Paige said...

So cute! I love how Katie is just dying to give her a little push!

kace said...

SO cute! I was with Katie, I wanted to jump in the video and roll her over!