Friday, July 8, 2011

What We've Been Up To

The past few weeks of summer have been rather similar to the first few that I posted about--storytime, craft-type stuff at home, etc.  Here's a quick summary and some pics that are mostly from my phone.

Father's Day--we had an amazing day!  First, we went to the Children's Museum in Atlanta (all exhibits are for children not of children). My whole fam came so we could see my dad and everyone else.  We did not bring our camera, so please check my brother's family blog for the full story and pictures.  Here are a few from my phone:


We left a little early so we could make the Braves game and give C some time to rest in the car. Honestly, even though Brandon was so excited about going to the game, I thought it might be a disaster.  Because of the incredibly hot summer we've had and the timing (specifically NAP time), I had my doubts.  I'm so glad I was wrong! All 3 of us had a great time. Our seats were in a section where the concessions were air conditioned and full of comfy seating, so we could just take a break in the AC when it got too hot outside.
Cheering

Discussing the pros & cons of instant replay in MLB



Lunch Dates--we've met up with Jana, Christine, Daddy, and various coworkers of Brandon's for lunch over the past few weeks.  One of C's favorite lunches was at Downwind, which is a little hole-in-the-wall with great food and a view of the landing strips at the Peachtree-DeKalb Airport.

Time with Lila--I'm loving watching these girls become more aware of and interested in each other.  Even little things, like C will pick up a toy and say, "Lila like that one," if it's a toy Lila plays with when she's over. We went to Lila's 2nd birthday party, which you can read about here.  Also, Lila has come to play with us, C has gone over there, and I got these cute pictures when we went to Lila's house to play in her little pool and sand/water table.  The girls spent most of the time moving the sand from the table to the little pool.


 
  
Swimming--Brandon's mom's complex has a pool, and my parents joined their neighborhood pool this year, so we have had several chances to swim lately. Yay!  Here she is, ready for a cookout and some pool time.


Doctors--Carson had her follow-up with the allergist, which went well. The guy on the phone SAID there would only be talking, not testing...but he is a big ol' liar.  C and I were both surprised when they decided to re-test for dairy & eggs, and also check for a few nut allergies. Carson was seriously a champ though. We had been doing A LOT of talking about doctors, shots, stethoscopes, opening her mouth for the doctor, etc.  Carson let the nurse and doctors listen and look and measure everything, and the only time Carson cried was when they actually pricked her for the test. She recovered within 30 seconds and charmed the socks off of the office staff.
We also had her 18-month checkup (about a month late), where we learned she is two things I never thought I'd have in a kid:  75th percentile for height (33") and 10th percentile for weight (almost 22 lbs--which means she still meets the weight requirement for her infant car seat).  She grew almost 5 inches since her one-year checkup in December!  I'm pretty sure I've never grown that much in a year, let alone 7 months.  Again, she did great and didn't get upset at all when the doctor examined her.  It was our first doctor visit ever without a single tear.

In other basic Carson news, she has made some major strides in her language skills lately. Pronouns are flying all over the place, as well as complete sentences (sometimes minus a conjunction or two).  A few of my favorites:
  • Moe, Kaila poop outside.
  • You ok Mommy? (I guess because we ask her this a few times a day after a tumble)
  • Mommy do it. Not Carson.
  • This one. Not that one.
  • Put it in the box (when cleaning up).
  • Coming through! (sounds like come-a-doo!)
  • Oh my goodness! (minus the 'd' sound)
  • No, no Mommy! (well, I don't love this one but it's funny to hear her say it).

She has also dropped her first nap this summer, which was an amazingly smooth transition.  For awhile there, I thought I might have to discuss with her future Kindergarten teacher how to work in an extra rest time for C in the morning because I didn't think she was ever going to stop taking 2 naps a day.  She is still very tired by naptime and sometimes dozes off in the car if we run errands in the morning, but overall it has been a surprisingly easy switch!

We have some more fun things planned for the next few weeks, including a sleepover at Gram's and cousin Patrick's birthday party. 


Hope everyone else's summers are going as well as ours!

2 comments:

Josie Nackers said...

I think you and C should meet me for lunch one day :) Also, you left us hanging on the results of the allergy re-test.

Angie said...

Her growth stats are awesome! And I love the black and white pictures of the girls :)