Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Staying Home

So I left off in the last post, talking about why we decided for me to stay home this school year. Here is where I'd like to pick up:



Is staying at home hard? Yes, in some ways:

*I love teaching. I feel like I was meant to teach middle school, and I will miss it while I'm gone.

*It can get lonely. I miss grown-ups--although teaching middle school, you don't get to see that many grown-ups  (however, some might argue 8th graders are my true peers).

*It can get boring--the same rooms, same toys, same routine each day.

*It's a lot of responsibility--am I too easy on them? Am I teaching them the 'stuff' about life they're supposed to be learning? But you know what--leaving that responsibility to someone else when they're so young--that was infinitely harder for me.

*I hate doing dishes & laundry. I do them a lot now.



But was working full time with my kids in day care harder? Um, no competition. I don't think anything is harder than being a working parent. For me anyway. Because you still have to do all of the parenting stuff--you still have to try to teach them, spend time with them, keep them clean and healthy, encourage and comfort them--but you have so few hours to do it.

The chores don't go away. There is just less time to do them.

To schedule a doctor's appointment for one of Declan's many ear infections, I also had to notify 5 different people at my school, schedule a substitute teacher (which often required more than 20 phone calls and lots of begging--my school is not the most popular place to sub), write lesson plans, and play catch-up at work upon my return.

The schedule we were doing was not sustainable. Not for us. And I admire and respect all the parents who maintain it consistently.

Every day was hard. And long. I mean, from the time the kids left the house to when they returned was almost 11 hours, 5 days a week.

Every day was heartbreaking. The kids were so tired. So tired. All the time. My heart fell to pieces every time I had to nudge their precious faces awake in the morning or look at their over-tired eyes across the dinner table. And it wasn't fair to them.

And I missed them. I would go to fill out Declan's baby book during those months and realize I didn't know what to write.

And it wasn't fair to my students, who often got a teacher with only half a brain, very little sleep, and poor concentration trying to help them prepare for their high-stakes tests.

Looking back, I think the breaking point for me was when I sat Declan down at day care one morning, let go, and he continued sitting up on the floor. All by himself! I cheered! I clapped! I called his teachers' names to show them what he could do!

And they smiled & nodded.

I began to suspect they had seen it before. I asked, and it was true. We had missed him learning to sit up by himself.

That was when I decided there had to be another way. That the cost was too great for me. Because on top of the exhaustion and heartbreak, we were missing it. Missing him.

We loved their day care and it was hard to leave, but it was harder to leave them there.

And now the back-to-school sales have ended without a visit from me, and I haven't attended a pointless meeting since May, for the first time in 12 years.

In August, I began taking care of the sweet daughter of some long-time friends, and I'm excited about that too. I look forward to getting to know her and to my kids getting to play with her. And most of all, I look forward to being with my children. Pretty much every day. How cool is that?!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Angie said...

I’m proud of you guys for making the right decision for your family. I’m sure a lot of thought and prayer went into it. That’s what it’s all about though – finding what works best for your particular family, and your particular little people. I can’t officially call myself a working mom (or a stay at home mom, for that matter) since I only work two days a week but I can say I much prefer my days (even the worst ones) with my kids over my days at work – even though I love my job. One of my co-workers told me this morning that she wished she was on a permanent vacation like me. I realize that I’m supposed to say stay at home moms have it so rough and it’s the hardest job you’ll ever love and list off how many roles we have to fill each day and all that but I couldn’t. Because I DO feel like I’m on some kind of vacation, although not in the traditional sense of course. It’s crazy and stressful and frustrating and so many other things but those are only moments, and you get through them. And on the other side is pure joy and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

KBBean said...

So true, Angie! The best thing for each family can be so different (and can change over time), and that's okay! And I am nothing but grateful that this decision is working for us right now! Like you said, there are some tough moments, but I barely remember them by the end of the day (or maybe week) because there was also so much laughing and running and reading and singing and dancing. Life is good!