Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vegas, baby!   Vegas.  Baby.

So, Brandon has officially left for his "work" conference in Las Vegas.  I put work in quotation marks, because there are so rarely any stories from these alleged work trips that actually relate to the work. 

But I digress. 

What this means is that Carson and I will be on our own most of the week.  I know this isn't the hugest mothering task there is.  I know it's not that big of a deal.  But it's a first for us, and so I'm nervous for a few reasons:

1. What if I can't do it?--meaning, what if the house burns down, I forget to change her diaper all day, or I somehow manage to do irreparable damage to her psyche during this time?  Damage we won't truly understand until years from now when her therapist traces it all back to abandonment and poor parenting at a very early age--somewhere around 3 months old.

2. Carson is now definitely sick for the first time.  I tried pretending the stuffy nose was just from the dry air, but now that the snot is escaping from every orifice of her face, I have to admit it.  She's sick.  We knew it would happen eventually.  I'm sure she'll be okay.  We were just hoping we'd be able to tag-team the illness the first time around.  Also, Brandon balances my neurotic paranoia and anxiety about (insert any aspect of our lives here) with calm, rational thought.  Which would be nice to have as I watch her laboring to breathe.

3. I have a small fear that the only reason Carson is as happy as she is is that she spends time with her dad every day.  It's possible she'll be just miserable without him.

4. Brandon is not known for his impulse control.  And he'll be in Vegas.  There's a chance Carson's college /wedding/food expenses will be gone by the time he returns.

5. It's going to be a long week during which I'll also be worrying about next weekend...which is when I fly out to Vegas too.

Yes, I'm going to Vegas next weekend with a couple of the other "wives".  This presents a whole new list of worries which I will get to in another post.

Do I really think Carson and I will be okay all week?  Probably so.  I think it will be a tough week but a good one too.  It has already been six hours and she has taken two naps, eaten, and walked around the yard and smiled at some trees.  We're going to be just fine.


And just for fun, here's a picture of Carson at bath time.  She LOVES the bath!


5 comments:

Paula said...

OK.......now I'm certifiably worried about yall. PLEASE let me know if you need anything! I guess I could just "drop in".........but I'm afraid all the popularity I have worked so hard to secure, would go "down the drain!"

Mom said...

Wait....she's WALKING!?!

Jana Burrow said...

HAHAHA....I was going to say if she is walking and Lila isn't even crawling at 9 months your parenting skills trumped mine way sooner than I expected :-) I am SO sorry she is sick. That would be my fault. It's not even Lila's fault because I am sure I gave it to her. And Seth has it too which I'm sure made for a fabulous plane ride for him today. BUT, just let me know if you need anything. I technically don't have to go it alone this week because Sara is here a lot. It's going to be a MAJOR shock for me when she doesn't live with us anymore and Seth goes out of town.

Anonymous said...

I hope Carson feels better soon! Please let us know if we can do anything while Brandon is out of town. Have fun in Vegas!

~Angie

Anonymous said...

I wish I had read this earlier, Dave was out of town too, we could have stressed out together! Who knew babies could get colds so early??? It is really heartbreaking! We should have dinner again soon.

Kace