Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Movin' and A-Shakin'

So....Carson is crawling now.  In some ways, we're overwhelmingly proud.  It's so cool to watch her set her sights on something and then figure out how to get over there.  And in some ways, we're overwhelmingly...overwhelmed.  We just weren't quite thinking about baby-proofing, floor-sanitizing, and general injury prevention yet.  And of course, our "dog" Kaila is still here, and she doesn't take kindly to invasions of her space.  So.

But we have noticed, on her way to learning how to crawl, there is an incredible array of skills and moves she has perfected/attempted/created.  I am pretty sure I now know how yoga was started--a 6-month-old invented it.  Carson has downward-dogged herself across every room in our house. 
I have a business plan, so if you're looking to invest, pay attention.  I will start a gym where babies are the instructors.  I am positive that if I did all of the moves, stretches, and contortions Carson does in an hour, I would be in amazing shape, not to mention pretty freakin' flexible.

Here are a few of her moves, some with video examples : )

The 360--at first, all C could do was scoot in a circle. She had the patience and time to figure out that if she scooched on her belly in a circle, sometimes she would end up closer to her goal than she was 360 degrees ago.

Wheelbarrow



Rock 'n Hope--this one involves no progress, just lots and lots of wishing


Bunny Hop--what the rock 'n hope eventually became. She's so smiley in this one because her dad is there!


Lunge (aka, Here Goes Nothing!)--in this one, she gets in her downward dog position and throws herself forward, face-first, hoping for the best.  I have a small heart attack each time she attempts it.

This video has a little bit of Downward Dog (aka Inchworm), some Army Crawl, some Bunny Hop, and some Rock 'n Hope:


Wait, This Is Way Easier Than Crawling--eventually, little miss Smarty Pants figured out how NOT to crawl, which in some ways is more impressive than crawling.





She is actually officially crawling like a real baby crawls now, but I have no video of it, because I left our camera at my parents' this weekend.  She is also doing something else which I wish she wasn't:  pulling up.





SO proud of herself!

Here she is doing it in the den:

And here, in her crib again:

Anyone want to come help baby-proof???

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love the bunny hop! And I cannot believe she's pulling up already! Carson, slow down. We don't want you to grow up too fast ;) Looking forward to seeing her in action this weekend.