Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Tale of Two Shitties

*that title's for you, Josie

I apologize for the vulgar nature of the title, but it was a vulgar night.  Here's how it went down one night last week:

10:00 pm--Carson eats

10:30 pm--Carson sleeps



1:00 am--Carson eats again (so much for those 6-hour stretches I was bragging about)

1:30 am--Carson sleeps



4:00 am--Carson eats again--I'm feeding her in our bed

4:05 am--our dog Kaila comes and lays down in our room. Not unusual at all.










4:06 am--our dog Kaila gets up and leaves our room.  Unusual, because she is old and it's pretty hard for her to get up and down.

4:06 am--I spot the trail of shit Kaila is leaving behind her as she exits our room.

4:06:30 am--I wake Brandon up and inform him of the recent events taking place in our bedroom.  Brandon cleans up Kaila's mess.

4:30 am--Carson is done eating, I put her back in her bassinet (yes, she still sleeps in our room) and attempt to sleep

4:45 am--I hear strange noises coming from Carson's bed.  She needs a diaper change (although I'm not going to lie--for a moment, I seriously considered trying to wait 2 hours until she needed to eat again.  Good thing I didn't). I take Carson to her room to change her.

4:46 am--I realize Carson's bowels have basically exploded on her.  This had never happened before, but it has happened several times since.  However, the first time you open your child's pajamas to see them coated--literally from head to toe--in shit, it can take your breath away.  Some days I am surprised by the new things I learn as a parent. 

She had poop in places that were truly shocking--her armpits?  inside her little clenched fists (how did it get in there)? between her tiny sweet toes?  I didn't even know where to begin with the clean-up, as it seemed every move I made would only spread the excrement further--on her, her changing table, her bedroom, me.....I considered calling the doctor to ask them what to do, becuase truly, doesn't such a heinous incident warrant a call to a professional???--and then I reminded myself it was 5am and a call to the pediatrician regarding fecal contamination of my child's diaper was probably a little bit dramatic.

5:00 am--I take a deep breath, strip her down, and give her a pre-dawn bath.  She's such a sweetheart, she never even cries.

5:15 am--we're back in bed, trying to forget it ever happened

5:30 am--Brandon wakes up to pee and wonders to himself why Carson's bathtub looks like it has been used in the time since we all went to bed. I hear him get up. I'm sure he's wondering.  I'm too exhausted to explain. I'll fill him in in the morning.

7:00 am--time to wake up and start the day

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, Katie! That same exact thing has happened to us before!! The dog and the baby!!! I think it was when Matthew was a baby. You are such a great writer...your posts and lists always crack me up :)

Anonymous said...

Katie, keep writing. You are fantastic. Love your blog. Keeps us up on that beautiful baby.
Pa & Grandma