Sunday, January 31, 2010

Work

Dishes piled high in the kitchen sink
So much clutter I can barely think
Mountains of laundry to dry and to fold
Food to be cooked before it's too old
Dog hair tumbleweeds drift 'cross the floor
Lists of things that we need at the store
Mail I should open, bills to be paid
Toilets to scrub and beds to be made
Baby book updates so we don't forget
I could do all of this, but then I'd regret

Missing these moments just staring at you,
Watching you sleep and hearing you coo
I go back to work in just a short while
It pains me to miss even one of your smiles
You'll be in good hands while I am away
But they will not be mine, so I cherish each day
That falls in between this moment and then
As I choose a side in this battle within



I resolve to take these minutes and stare
At the lines of your face, the swirl of your hair
To watch as your hands open and close
Kiss every finger and all of your toes
To let my heart sing at your joyful cries
And memorize each tiny speck in your eyes
To meet their gaze and try to convey
All of the things my words cannot say

                  New people and places will be good for us both--
                  Important for our well-being and growth
                  But let's not waste time by looking ahead
                  And savor the seconds we share here instead.
                  Rocking you gently is my work for today,
                  Reassuring us both that it will be okay

4 comments:

Mom said...

You're such a good mommie and this is such a beautiful poem. It brought tears to my eyes.

Sarah said...

beautiful, katie. this so captures exactly how i felt when i had to return to work after kathryn was born. and you're right -- it will be good for both of you, but that doesn't make it any easier!

Paula said...

So sweet....

Pendergrass said...

I miss you so much! I love your poetry and you!